Saturday, August 23, 2008

"The Ask"

Much has been written, much more will be written (I think I am writing about it even now) about "The Ask".

Much like exercise or dieting the literature surrounding "the ask" is all about making the act of asking easier, painless, effortless, not difficult. "Ten easy ways to...fifteen ways to guarantee success..." As I browse the titles of books and articles on the subject I feel as though I am in the diet/self help aisle of my local Barnes and Noble.

Do we really enjoy the task of asking so little that we are desperate for the quick fix? How has an entire profession been created around the central task of asking for money while so many that practice the profession will do virtually anything to avoid performing the primary function of the entire industry-asking for money?

I have more to say here, we consulting types always do, but I promise that I have no easy steps, no painless methods, no tactics to give you rock solid results in only ten minutes a day - no "asks of steel" from me!

1 comment:

Uncle Fester said...

Right on here. There are no easy solutions, only obfuscations and silly schemes.

It just always sounds easier to not ask or to let "someone else do it."

I like the "asks of steel" line, too!